What I’ve Worked On at Google
Naturally this list only includes projects I’m allowed to talk about! For many projects I was not the only person who worked on it. The projects are ordered from most to least recent.
I worked on integrating generative AI with Docs!
Many news outlets took note:
- Forbes: Google Stock Jumps As It Puts Artificial Intelligence Into Google Docs
- Fortune: GPT-4 debuts and Google beats Microsoft in race to add generative A.I. to consumer office tools
- Reuters: Google unveils ‘magic wand’ to draft documents as AI race tightens
- The Verge: Google announces AI features in Gmail, Docs, and more to rival Microsoft
- USA Today: Google unveils new features for Docs, Gmail and more amid AI race
- The Washington Post: Google is adding AI to its work apps. Here’s what that means.
I worked on code blocks for Docs, including the Markdown support. The Verge took note: “Google’s making code formatting a breeze in Docs”.
I made it possible to split table cells in Docs.
I implemented edit notifications for Docs. While working on the feature, I also added a UI for updating a document’s comment and edit notification settings directly from the emails using dynamic mail.
I added Markdown autocorrection/substitution to Docs, Slides, and Drawings1.
Several news outlets took note:
- WIRED: “How to Use Markdown in Google Docs”
- The Verge: ”# Google Docs is getting more Markdown support”
- TechCrunch: “Google adds limited Markdown support to Google Docs”
I added en- and em-dash autocorrection/substitution to Docs, Slides, and Drawings.
I increased the width of comment threads in Docs. They were way too narrow and it was bothering me! 😅
I made Drive sharing emails show the most recent file thumbnail, owner, and edit when opening the emails, and added a UI for starring and unstarring the files directly from the emails, all using dynamic mail.
I added link previews for links in Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Drawings comment threads. Previously, they only appeared for links in the editor itself.
I made it easier to find new or important comment threads in Docs. USA TODAY took note: “Google Docs upgrades comments feature to make collaboration easier”.
In the Summer of 2019 I interned on the Sites team and allowed site viewers to provide feedback on published Sites.
Yes, Google has an editor called Drawings.